Reiki/Energy Healing in Prostate Cancer
Basic Trial Information
|Phase II, Phase I||Supportive care, Treatment||Completed||Not specified||Other||R21 AT001120|
The purpose of this study is to determine whether Reiki energy healing affects anxiety and disease progression in patients with localized prostate cancer who are candidates for radical prostatectomy.
Further Study Information
120 newly diagnosed prostate cancer patients will be randomized to one of 3 groups: Reiki, another touch therapy, or guided imagery. Subjects in the Reiki and touch therapy groups have 8 sessions in the 4 weeks prior to their medical intervention. Those in the imagery group have one session prior to their medical intervention.
- Newly diagnosed with prostate cancer
- Scheduled for radial prostatectomy, external beam radiation, brachytherapy, or a combination of these
- Already involved in energy healing treatments
- Any patient whose medical intervention could not wait the 4-weeks for intervention for medical reasons
- Any patient who gets neo-adjuvant therapy or any herbal product that could affect PSA
Trial Contact Information
Trial Lead Organizations/Sponsors
Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH)
Link to the current ClinicalTrials.gov record.
NLM Identifier NCT00065208
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this data on January 26, 2015
Note: Information about this trial is from the ClinicalTrials.gov database. The versions designated for health professionals and patients contain the same text. Minor changes may be made to the ClinicalTrials.gov record to standardize the names of study sponsors, sites, and contacts. Cancer.gov only lists sites that are recruiting patients for active trials, whereas ClinicalTrials.gov lists all sites for all trials. Questions and comments regarding the presented information should be directed to ClinicalTrials.gov.