Trans-NIH Regional Grant Writing & Scientific Peer Review Workshops
CGH Program/Initiative Type: Capacity Building
CGH organizes the Regional Grant Writing and Scientific Peer Review Workshops in coordination with several Institutes and Centers across the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to increase the participation of scientists from LMICs in the research grant process; develop strategies for sustainable research support and collaborations; and use competitive research as a tool to address global health issues. Specific outcomes from these workshops include the successful application of research grants from NIH, Wellcome Trust, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) as well as the development of training opportunities that aided 126 participants from 26 countries.
Trans-NIH Regional Grant Writing and Scientific Peer Review Workshops Contributors
- Fogarty International Center
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
- National Institute Drug Abuse and Addiction (NIDA)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of the Director
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
- Union for International Cancer Control (UICC)
- Wellcome Trust
Past and Future Workshops
- Central American/Andean Sub-Region (June 2012)
The first workshop, hosted by the Colombian Ministry of Health and Social Protection in Bogotá, Colombia, in June 2012 focused on participation of scientists from Central America to the Andean sub-region.
- South African Region (2013)
The second workshop, hosted by the South African Medical Research Council in Johannesburg, South Africa, in November 2013 focused on participation from scientists and research administrators from 16 countries in the sub-Saharan Africa region.
- Caribbean (2014)
CGH is organizing the third Trans-NIH Regional Grant Writing & Scientific Peer Review Workshop, to be held in the Caribbean region in late 2014. Applicants will be selected from a variety of disciplines through a competitive process.
Find more upcoming workshops in Events.
Email Avareen Cropper at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.