FY 2010 NCI Budget Snapshot
Funds available to the NCI in fiscal year (FY) 2010 totaled over $5.098 billion, reflecting an increase of 2.6% and $131 million from the previous fiscal year. In addition, NCI continued to fund projects under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), a two-year, $1.256-billion appropriation that began in FY 2009.
Highlights from FY 2010 include:
- Of the total NCI budget, 43% of the funds were allocated for Research Project Grants (RPGs) - investigator-initiated research.
- The total number of RPGs funded was 5,079 for a total of $2.082 billion.
- Almost one-fourth of the RPGs awarded were new (Type 1) or competing renewal (Type 2) awards.
- 1,253 competing RPGs were funded, a slight increase over the 1,235 competing RPGs funded in FY 2009.
- Almost one-third of the total NCI budget, or $1.537 billion, supported ongoing non-competing (Type 5) RPGs (i.e. grants in their second, third, fourth, or fifth years of funding).
- Of the $1.256 billion in ARRA funds available to NCI, nearly $411 million was obligated in FY 2010. A total of 1,540 research grants, including 1,513 RPGs, were awarded under the two-year appropriation.
- Intramural Research comprised just under 16% of the total NCI budget in FY 2010.