National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Office of Cancer Complementary and Alternative Medicine (OCCAM)
- Oversees NCI's projects in CAM
- Funds cancer CAM research
- Provides information about CAM to health providers and the public.
Cancer Information Service (CIS)
- Provides help finding NCI information on the Internet
- Answers questions about cancer
- Provides printed materials from NCI
- Gives referrals to clinical trials and other cancer-related services.
Chat online: LiveHelp
Toll-free: 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237)
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM)
- Funds CAM research
- Evaluates and provides information about CAM to health providers and the public.
National Library of Medicine
- The Directory of Information Resources Online (DIRLINE) contains locations of and information about a number of health organizations, including those that focus on CAM.
- Medline Plus provides access to reliable health information, including articles, organizations, directories, and answers to health questions.
- PubMed has a free and easy-to-use search tool for finding scientific articles on CAM.
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Oversees safety of drugs and medical devices
- Provides information on many issues, including vitamins and pills
- Informs people about how to look for health fraud.
Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- Provides information about consumer protection laws
- Provides information about false advertising for foods and drugs.
Toll-free: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
National Cancer Institute-Sponsored Cancer Centers