Before You Go to the Pharmacy - Know What You're Getting!
Sometimes people get new prescriptions and are confused about how to take them and when. If your doctor prescribes a new medicine, it's important for you to understand what you will be taking.
Before you leave your visit, ask your health care team:
- How do you spell the name of the drug?
- What does the medicine look like? If there is a generic version, does it look the same?
- How many pills (or how much liquid) are in each dose?
- How many times a day do I take the dose?
- Should I take this medicine with food?
- Can I take it with my other medicine or supplements?
Be sure to read the printed information that comes with your medicine. If you have trouble reading it, ask a friend or family member to read it for you. For other questions about your medicines, see Questions to ask your health care team about your pain medicine.