Imatinib Mesylate(ih-MA-tih-nib MEH-zih-layt)
This page contains brief information about imatinib mesylate and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
|US Brand Name(s):||Gleevec|
Imatinib mesylate is approved to treat:
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia in adults and children that is Philadelphia chromosome positive. In adults, it is used for disease that has recurred (come back) or is refractory (does not respond to treatment). In children, it is used as the first treatment after the disease is diagnosed.
- Chronic eosinophilic leukemia or hypereosinophilic syndrome.
- Chronic myelogenous leukemia that is Philadelphia chromosome positive.
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans.
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST).
- Myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative disorders.
- Systemic mastocytosis.
Imatinib mesylate is also being studied in the treatment of other conditions and types of cancer.More About Imatinib Mesylate
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information on Imatinib Mesylate - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.
Gleevec: Questions and Answers - Information about the use of this drug to treat cancer.
Targeted Cancer Therapies - Information about the use of this drug to treat cancer.Research Results
Clinical Trial Results: Imatinib Added to Chemotherapy Keeps Disease in Check for Longer in Children with Rare Form of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Patients Taking Imatinib for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Have Similar Risk of Death as General Population - Information about the use of this drug to treat cancer.Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Imatinib Mesylate - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.
Important: The drug information on this page is meant to be educational. It is not a substitute for medical advice. The information may not cover all possible uses, actions, interactions, or side effects of this drug, or precautions to be taken while using it. Please see your health care professional for more information about your specific medical condition and the use of this drug.