Prevention of Hypercalcemia
Key Points for This Section
Hypercalcemia can be very serious and can cause death. It is important to learn how to recognize it early and manage it carefully. Patients at risk of hypercalcemia may be the first to notice its symptoms, such as fatigue. Ask your doctor if you are at risk for hypercalcemia and learn about the following:
- Hypercalcemia symptoms.
- Ways to prevent it.
- What can make hypercalcemia worse.
- When to call the doctor.
To prevent hypercalcemia, patients can do the following:
- Drink the right amount of fluids.
- Get enough salt in your diet.
- Control nausea and vomiting.
- Stay active by walking.
- Control fever.
- Stop taking drugs that can cause hypercalcemia or affect its treatment, when possible.