Treatment Options for Childhood Central Nervous System Germ Cell Tumors
Newly Diagnosed Germinomas
- Radiation therapy to the tumor and ventricles (fluid -filled spaces) of the brain. A higher dose of radiation is given to the tumor than the area around the tumor.
- Chemotherapy followed by radiation therapy, for younger children.
- A clinical trial of chemotherapy followed by radiation therapy given in lower doses depending on how the tumor responds to treatment.
Newly Diagnosed Teratomas
Newly Diagnosed Nongerminomas
- Chemotherapy followed by radiation therapy. If a mass remains after treatment, a second surgery may be needed to check if the mass is cancer.
- High-dose chemotherapy with stem cell rescue using the patient's stem cells.