Stage III Papillary and Follicular Thyroid Cancer
Standard treatment options:
- Total thyroidectomy plus removal of involved lymph nodes or other sites of extrathyroid disease.
- I131 ablation following total thyroidectomy if the tumor demonstrates uptake of this isotope.
- External-beam radiation therapy if I131 uptake is minimal.
Check for U.S. clinical trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials that are now accepting patients with stage III papillary thyroid cancer and stage III follicular thyroid cancer. The list of clinical trials can be further narrowed by location, drug, intervention, and other criteria.
General information about clinical trials is also available from the NCI Web site.References
- Beierwaltes WH, Rabbani R, Dmuchowski C, et al.: An analysis of "ablation of thyroid remnants" with I-131 in 511 patients from 1947-1984: experience at University of Michigan. J Nucl Med 25 (12): 1287-93, 1984. [PUBMED Abstract]
- Simpson WJ, Carruthers JS: The role of external radiation in the management of papillary and follicular thyroid cancer. Am J Surg 136 (4): 457-60, 1978. [PUBMED Abstract]