National Cancer Institute
at the National Institutes of Health
Environmental Tobacco Smoke
- Preventing Tobacco Use Among Youth and Young Adults: A Report of the Surgeon General
Surgeon General's report on the prevalence, causes, effects, and implications of tobacco use by young people. It also identifies proven strategies that can reduce tobacco use.
- Women, Tobacco, and Cancer: An Agenda for the 21st Century
A report from the Women, Tobacco, and Cancer Working Group that outlines recommendations and strategies to reduce and ultimately prevent tobacco-related cancers in women.
- Women and Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General
Links to the 2001 Surgeon General's report and related resources.
- Tobacco Use Among U.S. Racial/Ethnic Minority Groups: A Report of the Surgeon General
Surgeon General's report on tobacco use among African Americans, American Indians and Alaska Natives, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, and Hispanics.
- Bibliography of Tobacco-Related Literature on Hispanics/Latinos 1990-2001
A categorized list of the published scientific literature on tobacco use in Hispanic/Latino groups.
Tobacco Monographs and State-of-the-Science Statement
- NCI Publications Locator: Smoking/Tobacco Publications
A list of smoking- and tobacco-related publications available from the NCI. The publications may be ordered online; many may also be viewed online.
- Ending the Tobacco Epidemic: A Tobacco Control Strategic Action Plan
This page presents the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 2010 Tobacco Control Strategic Action Plan as well as information about proposed cigarette product warning labels.
- MedlinePlus: Smoking
A collection of smoking-related information, from the National Library of Medicine.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: Tobacco/Nicotine Addiction
Brief description of nicotine addiction plus links to related publications, articles, and other resources.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute: Your Guide to a Healthy Heart
Basic information about heart disease, its major risk factors, including smoking, and tips on how to talk to your doctor.
- Smoking and Tobacco Use
Tobacco-related information for kids, teens, and adults from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Surgeon General's Reports on Smoking and Tobacco Use
Reports about smoking and tobacco use in a variety of specific populations and how to reduce tobacco use.
- American Cancer Society: Tobacco and Cancer
Part of the American Cancer Society's Web site. Provides information on the effects of tobacco use, quitting tips, smoking legislation, teens and tobacco, and the Great American Smokeout.