Prostate Cancer: Treatment
Information Summary from PDQ
- Clinical Trials to Treat Prostate Cancer
Check for prostate cancer treatment trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients. The list of clinical trials can be refined by location, stage of disease, drug, and other features.
General Information About Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Panel Encourages Broader Use of Surveillance in Some Men with Prostate Cancer
An independent panel of experts has endorsed delaying treatment, at least for a time, for many men who are diagnosed with forms of prostate cancer that likely pose no risk to long-term health.
- Drugs Approved for Prostate Cancer
This page lists cancer drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for prostate cancer. The list includes generic names and brand names.
- Hormone Therapy for Prostate Cancer
A fact sheet that describes hormone therapy and its role in treating prostate cancer. Includes information about the different types of hormone therapy, how they are used, and possible side effects.
- Treatment Choices for Men With Early-Stage Prostate Cancer
This booklet describes the treatment choices available to men diagnosed with early-stage prostate cancer.
- Enzalutamide Improves Survival in Patients with Metastatic Prostate Cancer
In an international randomized phase III clinical trial, the hormone therapy enzalutamide (Xtandi®) extended survival in men with metastatic prostate cancer that had progressed during treatment with androgen deprivation therapy. Participants in the trial had not received chemotherapy.
- NIH-funded study shows increased survival in men with metastatic prostate cancer who receive chemotherapy when starting hormone therapy
Men with hormone-sensitive metastatic prostate cancer who received the chemotherapy drug docetaxel given at the start of standard hormone therapy lived longer than patients who received hormone therapy alone, according to early results from a NIH-supported randomized controlled clinical trial.
- Radium-223 Improves Survival in Patients with Advanced Prostate Cancer
Results from a phase III trial show that radium-223 dichloride (Xofigo®) improves overall survival in men with advanced prostate cancer that has spread to their bones compared with placebo.
- Observation as Good as Surgery for Some Men with Prostate Cancer
Many men diagnosed with early-stage prostate cancer could forego radical prostatectomy and live as long as men who have immediate surgery, according to long-awaited results from a clinical trial published July 19, 2012, in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM).
Related Treatment Information
- Cancer Vaccines
A fact sheet that discusses cancer vaccines. Explains how they work, how they are made, and describes research related to their use.
- Radiation Therapy for Cancer
A fact sheet that defines the different types of radiation therapy and discusses scientific advances that improve the effectiveness of this treatment.
- Cryosurgery in Cancer Treatment: Questions and Answers
A fact sheet that describes cryosurgery, the technique of using extreme cold to treat tumors. Lists the indications, risks, benefits, and side effects of cryotherapy.
- Metastatic Cancer
A fact sheet about metastasis, the spread of cancer to other parts of the body. Discusses the diagnosis and treatment of cancer that has spread.