In English | En español
Questions About Cancer? 1-800-4-CANCER

Understanding Cancer Series

< Back to Main
  • Posted: 01/28/2005
  • Reviewed: 09/01/2006

Page Options

  • Print This Page
  • Print This Document
  • View Entire Document
  • Email This Document
  • View/Print PowerPoint

Slide 40


SNPs and Cancer Risk

< Previous SectionNext Section >

Scientists are also using SNPs to calculate risk factors associated with cancer in large populations.

First, imagine analyzing the SNPs in a random population of 100 people. 80 percent are found to have SNP A and the remaining 20 percent have SNP B. Now look at another 100 people, all with kidney cancer. In this group, 60 percent have SNP A and 40 percent have SNP B. Neither SNP A nor SNP B causes cancer. However, from this data, physicians can say that a person who has SNP B is at a higher risk for kidney cancer than a person with SNP A.

SNPs and Cancer Risk