Insurance Coverage: Arizona
Legislation: Senate Bill 1213
Effective: January 2001
What clinical trials are covered?
Phase I, II, III, and IV clinical trials for treatment, palliation (supportive care) (supportive care) or prevention of cancer approved by one of the following:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH cooperative group or center
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (in the form of an Investigational New Drug Application)
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- A qualified research entity that meets NIH criteria for grant eligibility
- A panel of qualified clinical research experts from academic health institutions in the state.
Who is required to pay?
- Private insurers and managed care plans.
Other key criteria:
- Trial must be reviewed and approved by an Institutional Review Board of an institution in Arizona.
- Health professional must agree to accept reimbursement from the insurer as payment in full.
- There is no clearly superior, noninvestigational treatment alternative.
- Excludes coverage for trials outside of Arizona.