Insurance Coverage: California
Legislation: Senate Bill 37
Effective: August 2001
What clinical trials are covered?
Phase I, II, III, and IV clinical trials with a therapeutic intent for patients with cancer and recommended by a treating physician. Trial must either involve a drug exempt from a New Drug Application (NDA) under federal regulations, or be approved by one of the following:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Who is required to pay?
All California insurers, including the state's Medicaid program and other medical assistance programs.
Other key criteria:
- Plan may restrict coverage to services in California unless protocol is not provided at a California hospital or by a California physician.