Insurance Coverage: Delaware
Legislation: Senate Bill 181
Effective: July 2001
What clinical trials are covered?
Clinical trials for treatment, palliation (supportive care), or prevention of cancer approved by one of the following:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH cooperative group or center
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Institutional Review Board that has a Multiple Project Assurance (MPA) from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Office for Human Research Protections.
- A qualified research entity that meets the criteria for NIH Center Support grant eligibility.
Who is required to pay?
Every group or blanket policy.
Other key provisions:
- The trial must have therapeutic intent and enroll individuals diagnosed with the disease.
- The trial must not be designed exclusively to test toxicity or disease pathophysiology (the functional changes that accompany a particular syndrome or disease).