Insurance Coverage: Maryland
For more information about insurance coverage of clinical trial costs, see this feature's main page: States That Require Health Plans to Cover Patient Care Costs in Clinical Trials.
Effective: July 1998
What clinical trials are covered?
Phase I, II, III, and IV cancer treatment, supportive care, early detection, and prevention trials. Phase II, III, and IV trials for other life-threatening conditions.
Trial must be conducted by an academic medical center in Maryland or approved by one of the following:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- an NIH-sponsored cooperative group or center
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Who is required to pay?
Private insurers and other specified managed care plans.
Other key provisions:
- There is no clearly superior, noninvestigational alternative.
- The data provide a reasonable expectation that the treatment will be as least as effective as the alternative.