Insurance Coverage: Maine
Legislation: 24-A: Maine Insurance Code
What clinical trials are covered?
Clinical trials enrolling individuals who have a life-threatening or serious illness for which no standard treatment is effective. Trial must be approved and funded by any one of the following:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- an NIH-sponsored cooperative group or center
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Who is required to pay?
Managed care organizations and private insurers.
Other key provisions:
- Participation must offer meaningful potential for significant clinical benefit to the enrollee.
- Referring physician must conclude that trial participation is appropriate.