Insurance Coverage: North Carolina
Legislation: Senate Bill 199
Effective: January 2002
What clinical trials are covered?
The law extends coverage to all people diagnosed with a life-threatening condition who choose to enroll in a Phase II, III, or IV clinical trial. Includes clinical trials approved and funded by any one of the following:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH cooperative group or center
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Who is required to pay?
All health benefit plans.
Other key provisions:
- Mandated coverage is effective for health plans that are in effect or renewed on or after March 1, 2002.
- Patients suffering from a life-threatening disease or chronic condition may designate a specialist who is capable of coordinating their health care needs as their primary care physician. The law also established an Office of Managed Care Patient Assistance.