Insurance Coverage: Nevada
For more information about insurance coverage of clinical trial costs, see this feature's main page: States That Require Health Plans to Cover Patient Care Costs in Clinical Trials.
Legislation: Senate Bill 29
Effective: January 1, 2006 (extends legislation in effect since January 2004 to include phase I cancer clinical trials)
What clinical trials are covered?
Phase I clinical trials for the treatment of cancer, and phase II, III, and IV clinical trials for the treatment of cancer or chronic fatigue syndrome that are approved by one of the following:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH cooperative group
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- U.S. Department of Defense
Who is required to pay?
Private insurers and managed care plans.
Other key provisions:
- There is no medical treatment available that is considered more appropriate treatment than the treatment provided in the clinical trial.
- Trial must be conducted in Nevada