Clinical Trials (PDQ®)
|Phase II||Treatment||Completed||18 to 75||Other||GORTEC-TREMPLIN|
Larynx preservation remains a very challenging approach in patients with larynx/pharynx cancer. A first attempt consisted of induction chemotherapy followed in good responders by irradiation. This approach allowed to preserve 60 % of the larynx without any significant difference in survival. The second attempt consisted of concurrent chemo-irradiation. This approach provided a higher larynx preservation rate but survival remained unchanged and mucosal toxicity was also higher. A third approach is currently under evaluation: induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemo-irradiation in good responders.
Further Study Information
At ASCO 2004 there were 3 major presentations issuing an increasing in survival:
- the update of the MACH-NC meta-analysis showed that actually only concurrent chemo-irradiation trials found a significantly improved survival (in particular the addition of cisplatinum alone to radiotherapy)
- the addition of docetaxel to the cisplatinum-5FU regimen (TPF) when compared with cisplatinum--5FU (PF)
- the addition of cetuximab to irradiation
On this basis we decided to carry-out a randomized phase II for previously untreated patients requiring a total laryngectomy:
All patients after a complete work-up including a CTscan will receive 3 cycles of TPF(T: 75 mg/m², P: 75 mg/m² and 5FU 750 mg/m²).
Patients with response over 50 % (endoscopy and CTscan) will be randomized to receive either irradiation (70 Gy) and cisplatinum (100 mg/m² on D1, D22 and D43) or irradiation (70 Gy) with cetuximab (loading dose of 400 mg followed by weekly 250 mg for a total of 8 cycles.
Patients with less than 50% decease in tumour volume after TPF, patients with residual or recurrent disease after either RT-CDDP or RT-cetuximab will get salvage total laryngectomy.
- Larynx or hypopharynx squamous cell carcinoma proven by histology, locally advanced, only eligible for surgery as total or sub-total (pharyngo-)laryngectomy
- Performance status 0-1
- Neutrophils >=1.5 x 109/l, Platelets count >=100 x 109/l, haemoglobin >=10 g/dl
- Total bilirubin <= 1.5 x upper reference range
- ASAT and ALAT <= 2.5 x upper reference range, Alkaline Phosphatases <= 5 x upper reference range
- Serum creatinine <= 120 µmol/l
- Weight loss < 10 % within last 3 months
- Written inform consent
- Infiltrative transglottic tumor or clinical cartilage invasion
- Distant metastasis
- Previous chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- Contra-indication to chemotherapy
Trial Lead Organizations/Sponsors
Groupe Oncologie Radiotherapie Tete et CouGroupe d'Etude des Tumeurs de la Tête Et du Cou
|Jean-Louis Lefebvre||Principal Investigator|
Link to the current ClinicalTrials.gov record.
NLM Identifer NCT00169247
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this data on October 17, 2013
Back to Top