NCI Issues Updated Cancer Trends Progress Report
NCI recently released the Cancer Trends Progress Report: 2009/2010 Update. The online report summarizes the nation’s progress against cancer, from prevention through end of life, in relation to the Department of Health and Human Services’ Healthy People targets. This year’s update expands the focus of the report to include nine new measures; a reporting of health differences and health inequalities across measures, where they exist; and a new summary measure of the most recent trends (Average Annual Percent Change).
Report features include:
- Quick tutorial to ease navigation and downloading of materials within the report
- Updated “Trends-at-a-Glance” snapshot
- Links to NCI's State Cancer Profiles’ state- and county-level data
- Links to colorectal cancer mortality projections
- Links to Healthy People 2010 materials
- Data, graphs, and slides that are easy to download
- Custom report features
- Open text search capability
- Full accessibility for persons with disabilities
New measures include:
- Medicaid coverage of tobacco dependence treatments
- Tobacco company marketing expenditures
- Treatment for prostate, kidney, lung, ovarian, and bladder cancer
- Cost of cancer care (expanded)
- Cancer survivors and smoking
The Cancer Trends Progress Report, first issued in 2001, is updated bi-annually and when new data become available. The report offers updated national trends data in a user-friendly format and is intended for policy makers, researchers, clinicians, and public health service providers.
SEER Program Releases New CSR Data
On April 15, NCI’s Surveillance Research Program (SRP) released the SEER Cancer Statistics Review (CSR), 1975-2007. The updated SEER CSR presents the most recent cancer incidence, survival, prevalence, and lifetime risk statistics. National cancer mortality statistics will be added to the report as soon as they are available. All material in the SEER CSR report is in the public domain and may be reproduced or copied without permission. However, a citation of it as the original source is appreciated.
In addition to the SEER CSR, SRP has posted the following materials online:
- SEER Data, 1973-2007
- Updated Stat Fact Sheets and Fast Stats
- Delay Adjusted Incidence for SEER 9 and SEER 13
The latest SEER data were also released through SEER*Stat, statistical software that provides a mechanism for analyzing SEER and other cancer-related databases.
NCI Launches “New on Cancer.gov” E-mail List
NCI’s Office of Communications and Education has launched a new e-mail list to inform Cancer.gov users when new content is added to the Web site. Subscribers will receive an e-mail update whenever new clinical trial results, featured clinical trials, drug information summaries, FDA drug approval notices, fact sheets, patient education publications, or other content pieces are posted. The e-mail list is hosted by the NIH Listserv, which allows users the freedom to easily subscribe, unsubscribe, or change their subscription settings, such as choosing to receive a digest version instead of individual e-mails each time new content is added (on average two to three times a week).
There are two ways to subscribe to the new listserv, NEW_ON_CANCERGOV-L:
- To subscribe via e-mail, send a message to LISTSERV@list.nih.gov with the following text in the body of the message (using your own first and last name in place of the italicized text): SUBSCRIBE NEW_ON_CANCERGOV-L firstname lastname. You will receive a confirmation e-mail. Click the link in the e-mail to confirm registration.
- To subscribe online, go to http://list.nih.gov/ and click on “Login.” Enter your e-mail address and create or enter your existing NIH Listserv password as prompted. You will receive a confirmation e-mail. Click the link in the e-mail to confirm registration. Once you are registered, find the NEW_ON_CANCERGOV-L list using the alphabetic list or enter “cancer” in the search box. Choose “Subscribe/Unsubscribe” from the options on the right side of the page, enter your name and email address, and click the “Subscribe” button. You will receive a confirmation e-mail; click the link in the e-mail to confirm registration.