A new study shows that radiation exposure from computed tomography (CT) scans in childhood results in very small but increased risks of leukemia and brain tumors in the first decade after exposure. The study, led by researchers from NCI and Newcastle University, is the first analysis of CT scans that looked at exposed patients directly instead of using models based on atomic bomb survivors or other populations accidentally exposed to large doses of radiation. Read more > >
A Conversation with Dr. Patricia Steeg on Redesigning Clinical Trials to Test Therapies that Could Prevent Cancer Metastasis
The head of the Women's Cancers Section in NCI's Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology argues that the current system for clinical trials must be redesigned if there is to be a decline in breast cancer metastasis.
- Pertuzumab Approved to Treat Some Metastatic Breast Cancers
- Cancer Control P.L.A.N.E.T. Portal Gets New Look
- NCI's Barnett Kramer Named ASCO Fellow
- NCI Advisory Boards, Director's Consumer Liaison Group to Meet End of June
- Free Workshop for Cancer Survivors: Changing Roles and Responsibilities of Caregivers
- Workshop to Focus on Integrating the "Omics" into Biology, Clinical Care
- NCI's Tom Misteli Wins Flemming Award
Selected articles from past issues of the NCI Cancer Bulletin are available in Spanish.
The NCI Cancer Bulletin is produced by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), which was established in 1937. Through basic, clinical, and population-based biomedical research and training, NCI conducts and supports research that will lead to a future in which we can identify the environmental and genetic causes of cancer, prevent cancer before it starts, identify cancers that do develop at the earliest stage, eliminate cancers through innovative treatment interventions, and biologically control those cancers that we cannot eliminate so they become manageable, chronic diseases.
For more information about cancer, call 1-800-4-CANCER or visit http://www.cancer.gov.
NCI Cancer Bulletin staff can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.