Smokefree Women Web Site Launched
The popular Smokefree.gov Web site has spun off a new section, Smokefree Women (http://women.smokefree.gov) and a companion Facebook page with information, tools, and discussion forums specifically developed to help female smokers quit. Women who smoke experience the same health hazards as men. But, they also face hazards unique to women, including endangering the life and health of a developing child if they smoke during pregnancy. The new site focuses on helping women integrate smoking cessation into daily life and family matters to help women stay smokefree. It was designed with the knowledge that different women need different resources to quit.
The Web site and Facebook page contain interactive features, as well as tools that users can download to their personal Facebook profiles. For example, the “Talk to an Expert” feature allows users to receive information and advice about quitting smoking through real-time telephone-based or online LiveHelp messaging with an NCI smoking cessation counselor. A step-by-step Quit Guide is also provided, and the “Topics that Interest You” section includes information on smoking and pregnancy, depression, weight management, and relationships.
Smokefree Women was developed by the Tobacco Control Research Branch in NCI’s Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, with assistance from the CDC, Health Canada, American Legacy Foundation, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, American Cancer Society, and NCI's Office of Communications and Education.
NCI Publications Locator Web Site Improved
NCI recently redesigned and improved its Publications Locator Web site: www.cancer.gov/publications. Publications Locator offers users the ability to view and order NCI publications online. The new Web site is a secure system with advanced features that are easier to use.
Improvements to the site include:
- A homepage that offers additional browsing options
- Links to announcements, featured publications, and new and updated publications
- Improved search capabilities to locate, select, and order materials
- More publication information, including last reviewed date, publication format, and page count
- An expanded Publications Details page that includes audience, language, physical description, and related products
- Thumbnail images for most publications
- Advanced ordering capabilities, including a shopping cart and order-progress bar
- Self-printing options