The skyrocketing cost of medical care has been front and center in the current deliberations over how to reform the country’s health care system. A new guidance statement released last week by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) tackles one component of the issue head on, urging oncologists to discuss the potential financial costs of care with their patients. These clinician/patient discussions about cost, the guidance statement declares, are “a key component of high-quality care.” Read more > >
Dr. Edith Perez is a professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL, and the co-principal investigator and North American coordinator for the Adjuvant Lapatinib and/or Trastuzumab Treatment Optimization (ALTTO) clinical trial, an international phase III clinical trial that aims to define the optimal treatment for early stage HER2-positive breast cancer. Read more > >
- Black Box Warnings Added to Two Smoking Cessation Drugs
- Agency Approves First Maintenance Chemotherapy Agent for NSCLC
- State-of-the-Science Conference on Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Slated for September
- Chemical Biology Consortium Kick-off Meeting Set for August
- Manifesto on Childhood Cancer Emerges from Meeting in Senegal
- New Issue of CCR Connections Released
- New State Cancer Legislative Database Newsletter and Fact Sheet Now Available
The NCI Cancer Bulletin is produced by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), which was established in 1937. Through basic, clinical, and population-based biomedical research and training, NCI conducts and supports research that will lead to a future in which we can identify the environmental and genetic causes of cancer, prevent cancer before it starts, identify cancers that do develop at the earliest stage, eliminate cancers through innovative treatment interventions, and biologically control those cancers that we cannot eliminate so they become manageable, chronic diseases.
For more information about cancer, call 1-800-4-CANCER or visit http://www.cancer.gov.
NCI Cancer Bulletin staff can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.