Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is the SRK postdoctoral fellowship geographically located?
The highly competitive program is for female postdoctoral fellows training in any of the National Cancer Institutes’ intramural research settings. NCI facilities are located in Bethesda, Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Frederick.
- Is the SRK fellowship only open to Ph.D. postdoctoral fellows?
The SRK fellowship is open to any female postdoctoral candidate. Only current NCI postdoctoral fellows are eligible to apply.
- What is the duration of the fellowship?
The SRK fellowship is intended to last a one year.
- What is the structure and time commitment of the program?
The highlight of this selective program includes a 24-week course entitled “Design Your Life: Women in Science.” This course includes two day-long workshops. Following each day-long session, a 10-week 2-hour bi-weekly meeting will be conducted to network among individual participants and the facilitator.
This one-year program will also include the following activities:
- Mentoring opportunities with successful women scientists from government, industry, and academia
- Seminars on relevant topics such as networking, managing people, time management, promoting self
- Are references required?
Yes. Your PI and lab/branch chief must submit a letter of support for this selective program.
- When are the SRK winners selected and announced?
Selection is a two-stage process. Once applications are received, they are pre-screened for completeness. Applications are then reviewed by a committee composed of NCI intramural scientists. Winners are notified within two weeks of selection to begin the program.