The Transition Career Development Award (K22)
The NCI Transition Career Development Award (K22) supports mentored, non-independent investigators ready to transition to independent academic faculty positions.
For more complete information, reference the Program Announcement and/or contact the program staff.
On this page:
- Applicant Eligibility
- Financial Support
- How to Apply
- Application Receipt Dates and Review Schedule
- Review and Selection Process
- NCI Staff Contacts
At the time of the award, the candidate must be:
Citizenship or green card is not needed to apply. Citizenship or green card is needed at the time of award issuance.
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas|
Not eligible for this award
Clinical or research fellows working in all areas of human cancer research ready to transition to independent academic tenure-track assistant faculty positions.
|Effort Level/ Commitment|
Candidate must commit a minimum of 9 calendar months (75%) full-time professional effort to the K22 Career Development Award.
|Duration of Award|
3 years; the K22 Award is not renewable
Up to $100K/year + fringe benefits
|Research Development Support: Salaries for Technical Support, Consultant Costs, Equipment, Supplies, Travel, and Statistical Support|
Up to $50K/year
|F&A Costs/Indirect Costs|
|Ancillary Personnel Support: Salary for Mentors, Secretarial and Administrative Assistance, etc.||Not allowed|
How to Apply
- Applicants must submit applications electronically – download the K22 Award application
- Applicants must follow the instructions in the SF424(R&R) Application Guide, as well as any program-specific instructions noted in Section IV.
- When the program-specific instructions deviate from those in the Application Guide, follow the program-specific instructions in Program Announcement.
- Applications that do not comply with these instructions may be delayed or not be accepted for review.
|Receipt Cycle||Receipt Date: New Application||Receipt Date: Submission Application||Initial Review||Council Review||Earliest Possible Start Date*|
|1||February 12||March 12||June/July||September/October||December|
|2||June 12||July 12||October/November||January/February||April|
|3||October 12||November 12||February/March||May/June||July|
* Start dates are determined by the availability of NCI funds and may not occur until well after the earliest possible start date.
Applications are due by 5 pm local time.
When a standard submission date falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, the application deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.
Review and Selection Process
The Center for Scientific Review (CSR) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) review applications for completeness and for conformance to all eligibility requirements and special provisions and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
Subcommittee I, convened by the Division of Extramural Activities of the NCI, evaluates applications according to the review criteria listed in the Program Announcement. Before an award is made, the National Cancer Advisory Board (NCAB) conducts a second level of review and ensures that an application meets the broad program needs and priorities of the NCI and the National Cancer Program.
For review criteria for the K22 grant mechanism, see the Review Criteria section of the Program Announcement.
- Program Announcement
- Current List of K22 Awards
- Link to Main Peer Review Group NCI - I
- Application Form and Details
- Review Criteria
NCI Staff Contacts
For additional information regarding policies and/or guidance in preparing an application for the K22 Award, contact:
- Dr. Sonia B. Jakowlew
For information regarding fiscal and/or budget issues, contact:
- Grant Management Contact
For information regarding review issues, contact:
- Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities