Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) for Individual Predoctoral Fellows (F31)
The NCI Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA for Individual Predoctoral Fellows (F31) Award supports promising doctoral candidates who will perform dissertation research and training for a PhD degree in a scientific health-related field relevant to the mission of the NCI during the tenure of the award. NCI encourages applicants to submit applications during the first three years of doctoral training to ensure that at least one year of dissertation-stage research training will remain at the time of award.
NCI requires a clear cancer focus in graduate research training. The primary sponsor must be the Principal Investigator (PI) of an R01, or R01-like, peer-reviewed cancer-related research grant at the time of application. For the NCI F31 Award, R01-like research funding includes peer-reviewed research grants from other federal sources and private foundations with a duration of at least 3 years with a minimum of $150,000 direct costs per year. The primary sponsor is expected to maintain such grant support during the project period. Grants under a no-cost extension do not qualify.
On this page:
- Applicant Eligibility
- Financial Support
- Tuition, Fees, Training-Related Expenses & Health Insurance
- How to Apply
- Application Receipt Dates and Review Schedule
- Review and Selection Process
- NCI Staff Contacts
At the time of the award, the candidate must be:
The candidate does not need citizenship or a green card to apply. Citizenship or green card is needed at the time of award issuance.
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas||Not eligible for this award|
|Degree/Academic Appointment||Predoctoral Fellows|
|Geographic Location||F31 Fellows may request support for training abroad; clear scientific justification is required, including the reasons why the facilities, the sponsor, and/or other aspects of the proposed experience are more appropriate than training in a domestic setting.|
|Effort Level/ Commitment||At least 40 hours per week, full-time effort, to the training program|
|Duration of the Award||Up to 5 years; individual fellowship awards are generally not renewable; consult NIH staff to obtain advice regarding submission of a renewal application for additional fellowship support|
- Stipend Update
- Stipend for FY 2014: $22,476
|Tuition and Fees||NCI will pay 60% of the combined amount requested for tuition and fees up to $16,000 per year.|
|Training-Related Expenses and Health Insurance|
NCI will pay up to $4,200 (in FY14) annually to help defray other research training expenses, such as:
How to Apply
Required Application Instructions
- Applications must be submitted electronically – download the F31 Award application
- It is critical that applicants follow the instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Fellowship Application Guide and Section IV. Application and Submission Information of the Program Announcement.
- When the program-specific instructions deviate from those in the Application Guide, follow the program-specific instructions.
- Applications that do not comply with these instructions may be delayed or not be accepted for review.
Application Receipt Dates and Review Schedule
|Receipt Cycle||Receipt Date: New, Resubmission||Initial Review Date||Council Review Date||Earliest Possible Start Date*|
*Start dates are determined by the availability of NCI funds and may not occur until well after the earliest possible start date.
Applications are due by 5 pm local time.
When a standard submission date falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, the application deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.
Review and Selection Process
The Center for Scientific Review (CSR) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) review applications for completeness and for conformance to all eligibility requirements and special provisions and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
For review criteria for the F31 grant mechanism, see the Section V. Review Information of the Program Announcement.
- Program Announcement
- Current List of F31 Awards
- Link to Peer Review Groups
- Application Form and Details
- Review Criteria
- Changes to Public Access Policy Compliance Efforts Notice
- Activation Form
- Termination Notice: Terminations are submitted via xTrain by the institute's business official
NCI Staff Contacts
For additional information regarding policies and/or guidance in preparing an application, contact:
- Dr. Michael Schmidt
- Dr. Jeannette Korczak
- Branch Phone: 240-276-5630
For information regarding fiscal and/or budget issues, contact:
- Grants Administration Branch
For information regarding referral and review issues, contact:
- Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities