Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA for Senior Fellows (F33)
The Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) F33 provides senior fellowship support to established scientists who wish to make major changes in the direction of their research careers or who wish to broaden their scientific background by acquiring new research capabilities as independent research investigators in scientific health-related fields relevant to the missions of the NCI. This award is designed for sabbatical periods.
For more complete information, reference the Program Announcement and/or contact the program staff.
Reminder to NCI F33 Fellowship Awardees: Transfers, Changes in the Primary Sponsor and Changes in the Project:NCI F33 fellowship awards are made for training at a specific institution under the guidance of a particular sponsor. NCI approval is required for a transfer of the award to another institution, a change in the primary sponsor or a significant project change. If the primary sponsor plans to be absent for a continuous period of more than 3 months, an interim sponsor must be named by the institution and approved in writing by NCI.
On this page:
- Applicant Eligibility
- Financial Support
- Tuition, Fees, Training-Related Expenses & Health Insurance
- How to Apply
- Application Receipt Dates and Review Schedule
- Review and Selection Process
- NCI Staff Contacts
At the time of award the candidate must be:
Citizenship or green card is not needed to apply. Citizenship or green card is needed at the time of award issuance.
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas||
Not eligible for this award
Established Investigators (Associate or Full Professors); 7 subsequent years of relevant research or professor experience
F33 Fellows may request support for training abroad; clear scientific justification is required, including the reasons why the facilities, the sponsor, and/or other aspects of the proposed experience are more appropriate than training in a domestic setting.
|Effort Level/ Commitment||
At least 40 hours per week, full-time effort, to the training program
|Duration of Award||
0.5-2 years; the F33 Award is not renewable
- Stipend Update
- Stipend: $55,272
|Tuition and Fees||
NCI will pay 60% of the combined amount requested for tuition and fees, up to $4,500 per year.
|Training-Related Expenses and Health Insurance||
NCI will pay up to $7,850 (in FY14) annually to help defray other research training expenses, such as:
How to Apply
- Applicants must submit applications electronically – download the F33 Award application
- Applicants must follow the instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Individual Fellowship Application Guide, as well as any program-specific instructions in Section IV of the Program Announcement.
- When the program-specific instructions deviate from those in the Application Guide, follow the program-specific instructions.
- Applications that do not comply with these instructions may be delayed or not accepted for review.
|Receipt Cycle||Receipt Date: Application, Resubmission||Initial Review Date||Council Review Date||Earliest Possible Start Date*|
*Start dates are determined by the availability of NCI funds and may not occur until well after the earliest possible start date.
Applications are due by 5pm local time.
When a standard submission date falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, the deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.
Review and Selection Process
The Center for Scientific Review (CSR) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) review applications for completeness and for conformance to all eligibility requirements and special provisions and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
For review criteria for the F33 grant mechanism, see the Review Criteria section of the Program Announcement.
- Program Announcement
- Current List of F33 Awards
- Link to Peer Review Groups
- Application Form and Details
- Review Criteria
- Activation Form
- Changes to Public Access Policy Compliance Efforts Notice
- Payback Agreement
- Termination Notice: Terminations are submitted via xTrain by the institute's business official
NCI Staff Contacts
For additional information regarding policies and/or guidance in preparing an application, contact:
- Dr. Sonia B. Jakowlew
- Branch Phone: 240-276-5630
For information regarding fiscal and/or budget issues, contact:
- Grants Administration Branch
For information regarding referral and review issues, contact:
- Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities