Established Investigator Award in Cancer Prevention and Control (K05)
Please note: NCI no longer accepts applications for the K05. The Funding Opportunity Announcement expires on January 8, 2015, and will not be reissued.
The NCI Established Investigator Award in Cancer Prevention and Control (K05) provides established investigators protected time to:
- Conduct research in cancer prevention, control, behavioral sciences and population sciences, and
- Mentor junior investigators.
For more complete information, reference the Program Announcement and/or contact the program staff.
On this page:
- Applicant Eligibility
- Special NCI Eligibility Requirements
- Financial Support
- How to Apply
- Application Receipt Dates and Review Schedule
- Review and Selection Process
- NCI Staff Contacts
At the time of the award, the candidate must be:
Citizenship or green card is not needed to apply. Citizenship or green card is needed at the time of award issuance.
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas||Not eligible for this award|
|Degree/Academic Appointment||Established Investigators (Full Professor or equivalent); at the time of application and award, the candidate must have independent R01 research funding or its equivalent|
|Effort Level/ Commitment||The candidate must commit up to 3 calendar months (25%) full-time professional effort to the research and mentoring proposed in this award.|
|Duration of Award||3 - 5 years; the K05 Award is renewable one time|
Special NCI Eligibility Requirements
The candidate must be the Principal Investigator (PI) of an R01, or R01-like, peer-reviewed cancer-focused research grant at the time of application and during the award to be eligible for the K05 Award.
For the NCI K05, R01-like research funding includes peer-reviewed research grants from other federal sources and private foundations. The award duration must be for at least 3 years with a minimum of $150,000 direct costs per year. Grants under a no-cost extension do not qualify.
The PI is expected to maintain such research grant support during the K05 project period. If the awardee loses peer-reviewed independent research support during the K05 Award period, the awardee must document efforts to replace this support and demonstrate that he or she continues to meet all other requirements of the K05 Award.
|Salary||Up to $50K/year + fringe benefits|
|Research Development Support for Mentees: Tuition/Fees, Supplies/Equipment, Travel, Technical Personnel and Statistical Services||Up to $25K/year|
|F&A Costs/ Indirect Costs||8%|
|Ancillary Personnel Support: Salary for Secretarial and Administrative Assistance, etc.||Not allowed|
How to Apply
- Applicants must submit applications electronically – download the K05 Award application
- Applicants must follow the instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Application Guide, as well as any program-specific instructions in K-Specific Instructions for K Applications (Part 7.4) and Section IV of the Program Announcement.
- When the program-specific instructions deviate from those in the Application Guide, follow the program-specific instructions.
- Applications that do not comply with these instructions may be delayed or not accepted for review.
|Receipt Cycle||Receipt Date: New Application||Receipt Date: Renewal, Resubmission Application||Initial Review||Council Review||Earliest Possible Start Date*|
|1||February 12||March 12||June/July||September/|
|2||June 12||July 12||October/November||January/|
|3||October 12||November 12||February/March||May/June||July|
* Start dates are determined by the availability of NCI funds and may not occur until well after the earliest possible start date.
Applications are due by 5 pm local time.
When a standard submission date falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, the application deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.
Review and Selection Process
The Center for Scientific Review (CSR) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) review applications for completeness and for conformance to all eligibility requirements and special provisions and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
Subcommittee J, convened by the Division of Extramural Activities of the NCI, evaluates applications according to the review criteria listed in the Program Announcement. Before an award is made, the National Cancer Advisory Board (NCAB) conducts a second level of review and ensures that an application meets the broad program needs and priorities of the NCI and the National Cancer Program.
For review criteria for the K05 grant mechanism, see the Review Criteria section of the Program Announcement.
- Program Announcement
- Current List of K05 Awards
- Link to Main Peer Review Group NCI-J
- Application Form and Details
NCI Staff Contacts
For additional information regarding policies and/or guidance in preparing an application for the K05 Award, contact:
- Dr. Susan N. Perkins
- Branch Phone: 240-276-5630
For information regarding fiscal and/or budget issues, contact:
- Grants Administration Branch
For information regarding review issues, contact:
- Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities