Midcareer Award in Patient Research (K24)
The Midcareer Investigator Award in Patient-Oriented Research (K24) provides Associate level Clinician-Scientists with clinical duties and independent R01 or R01-like Patient-Oriented Research support protected time for:
- Patient-oriented research
- Mentoring early-stage clinical investigators
Patient-Oriented Research is defined as research conducted with human subjects (or on material of human origin such as tissues, specimens and cognitive phenomena) for which an investigator directly interacts with human subjects. This area of research includes:
- Mechanisms of human disease
- Therapeutic interventions
- Clinical trials
- The development of new technologies
Studies falling under Exemption 4 for human subjects research are not included in this definition.
For more complete information, reference the Program Announcement and/or contact the program staff.
On this page:
- Applicant Eligibility
- Financial Support
- How to Apply
- Application Receipt Dates and Review Schedule
- Review and Selection Process
- Special NCI Eligibility Requirements
- NCI Staff Contacts
At the time of the award, the candidate must be:
Citizenship or green card is not needed to apply. Citizenship or green card is needed at the time of award issuance.
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas||Not eligible for this award|
|Career Stage||Mid-career clinical investigators (Associate Professor) with active independent, peer-reviewed research support for Patient-Oriented Research|
|Effort Level/Commitment||The candidate must commit between 3-6 calendar months (25-50%) of full-time professional effort to the research and mentoring proposed in this award.|
|Duration of Award||Up to 5 years; the K24 Award is renewable one time|
|Salary||Up to $100K/ year + fringe benefits|
|Research Development Support: Tuition/Fees, Supplies/Equipment, Travel, Technical Personnel, and Statistical Services||Up t0 $50K/year|
|F&A Costs/Indirect Costs||8%|
|Ancillary Personnel Support: Salary for Mentors, Secretarial and Administrative Assistance, etc.||Not allowed|
How to Apply
- Applicant must submit application electronically – download the K24 Award application
- Applicants must follow the instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Application Guide, as well as following any program-specific instructions in Part I.7, "Preparing an Individual Research Career Development Award (CDA) Application" and Section IV of the Program Announcement.
- When the program-specific instructions deviate from those in the Application Guide, follow the program-specific instructions.
- Applications that do not comply with these instructions may be delayed or not be accepted for review.
Special NCI Eligibility Requirements
- The NCI K24 Award provides support and "protected time" from clinical duties to Associate-level clinician-scientists to expand their cancer-focused patient-oriented research and mentor junior clinicians in Patient-Oriented Research.
- The candidate must be the Principal Investigator (PI) of an R01, or R01-like, peer-reviewed cancer-focused patient-oriented research support for at least two remaining years at the time of K24 application. For the NCI K24, R01-like research funding includes peer-reviewed research grants from other federal sources and private foundations. The award duration must be for at least 3 years with a minimum of $150,000 direct costs per year.
- PI is expected to maintain such research grant support during the K24 project period. Grants under a no-cost extension do not qualify. Should grantees lose their independent research support during the K24 Award, they will be given up to one year to regain their independent peer-reviewed research funding before NCI terminates the K24 grant.
|Receipt Cycle||Receipt Date: New Application||Receipt Date: Resubmission||Initial Review||Council Review||Earliest Possible Start Date*|
|1||February 12||March 12||June/July||September/October||December|
|2||June 12||July 12||October/November||January/February||April|
|3||October 12||November 12||February/March||May/June||July|
* Start dates are determined by the availability of NCI funds and may not occur until well after the earliest possible start date.
Applications are due by 5 pm local time.
When a standard submission date falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, the application deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.
Review and Selection Process
An appropriate Scientific Review Group (or groups), along with The Center for Scientific Review (CSR) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) review applications for completeness and for conformance to all eligibility requirements and special provisions and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
Subcommittee J, convened by the Division of Extramural Activities of the NCI, evaluates applications according to the review criteria listed in the Program Announcement. Before an award is made, the National Cancer Advisory Board (NCAB) conducts a second level of review and ensures that an application meets the broad program needs and priorities of the NCI and the National Cancer Program.
For review criteria for the K24 grant mechanism, see the Review Criteria section of the Program Announcement.
- Program Announcement
- Current List of K24 Awards
- Link to Main Peer Review Group NCI-J
- Application Form and Details
NCI Staff Contacts
For additional information regarding policies and/or guidance in preparing an application for the K24 Award, contact:
- Dr. Susan Lim
- Branch Phone: 240-276-5630
For information regarding fiscal and/or budget issues, contact:
- Grant Management Contact
For information regarding review issues, contact:
- Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities