NCI Special Notes
1. The Program Director/Principal Investigator (PD/PI) should have the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary to organize and implement a high quality research program. The PD/PI must have peer-reviewed independent cancer-focused R01, or R01-like, research funding at the time the T32 application is submitted and awarded.
2. At least 50 percent of the faculty members must have peer-reviewed independent R01, or R01-like, cancer-focused research support. The remaining faculty members must have peer-reviewed independent R01, or R01-like, cancer-related research support.
- For the NCI T32, R01-like research funding includes peer-reviewed research grants from other federal sources and private foundations. The award duration must be for at least 3 years with a minimum of $150,000 direct costs per year. Grants under a no-cost extension do not qualify.
3. For the new training programs, at least 75% of the requested trainees per award year must be postdoctoral trainees.
4. Short-term training positions are not eligible for the NCI T32 training programs.
5. Budget ( Direct cost)
• For new T32 training programs, the budgets must be less than $500,000/yr.
• For competing renewal T32 training programs with current budgets less than $500,000/yr, the budgets must remain at less than $500,000/yr.
• For competing renewal T32 training programs with current budgets at $500,000/yr or more, a request to maintain the current budget level must be submitted at least six weeks prior to the anticipated application submission for program approval. No budget increases will be approved.
6. PI change or mentor addition requires program director's review and approval.
7. Only the reappointment of current trainee is allowed under a no-cost extension.