Education in Palliative and End-of-Life Care for Oncology (EPEC™-O) is a comprehensive multimedia curriculum for health professionals caring for persons with cancer. There are 2 versions of the curriculum available online:
- EPEC™-O: Original Version – includes 3 plenary sessions and 15 content modules, accompanied by trigger videos.
- EPEC™-O: Cultural Considerations When Caring for African Americans – supplements the Original Version and includes 5 new or substantially revised plenaries and modules with accompanying videos.
Curricular materials are meant to be flexible and can be presented in a variety of formats, including seminars, webinars, and self-study.
EPEC™-O Self-Study: Original Version
This curriculum, divided into 3 plenary sessions and 15 content modules introduces the practicing health care provider to the knowledge and skills necessary to provide palliative interventions for patients with physical, psychosocial, and spiritual suffering associated with cancer.
EPEC™-O Self-Study: Cultural Considerations When Caring for African Americans
African Americans suffer disparities in access to hospice and palliative care services due to a host of factors. This curricular supplement, meant to be used in conjunction with the original material, discusses these factors and presents evidence-based solutions to address them.
New material includes:
- Plenary AA: Cancer and the African American Experience
- Module 16AA: Spirituality
Adapted material includes:
- Plenary 2AA: Models of Comprehensive Care, an updated version of the original, emphasizes models shown to improve care for African Americans;
- Module 7AA: Communicating Effectively adds content to the original version, and discusses specific communication issues pertinent to the African American population;
- Module 13AA: Advance Care Planning, sheds light on the cultural issues that impact the discussion among the African American population.
Materials for Trainers provides resources for educators, and includes:
- Guide for Trainers, with suggestions for effective presentation formats and timing
- Teaching Skills modules, with accompanying text and PowerPoint slides
- Self Assessment questions and answers
- Sample conference evaluation