Liposomal Irinotecan, Fluorouracil and Leucovorin in Treating Patients with Refractory Advanced High Grade Neuroendocrine Cancer of Gastrointestinal, Unknown, or Pancreatic Origin
- Participant must have a locally advanced and unresectable or metastatic gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine carcinoma of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, or of unknown primary that has been previously treated with platinum etoposide or temozolomide and capecitabine: Patients may have either progressed on therapy or within 6 months of completing therapy, or be intolerant of therapy to be considered eligible.
- Participant must have tissue available for central pathology review and, must have pathologically/histologically confirmed high grade neuro endocrine defined as Ki-67 proliferative index of 20-100% or, must have evidence of at least 10 mitotic figures per 10 high powered fields.
- Comprehensive genomic profiling must be ordered per institutional guidelines prior to enrollment using archival tissue, fresh tissue, or blood sample as part of standard of care. If no archival tissue is available, then patient must have fresh biopsy prior to treatment administration if clinically indicated. If fresh biopsy is not required as part of standard of care, then a blood sample will be collected and used instead.
- Have an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status of 0 - 2.
- Leukocytes >= 3,000/mm^3.
- Absolute neutrophil count >= 1,500/mm^3.
- Hemoglobin >= 9 g/dL.
- Platelets >= 100,000/mm^3.
- Total bilirubin =< institutional upper limit of normal (ULN) or =< 1.5 x institutional ULN (if the patient has liver metastases.
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase [SGOT])/alanine aminotransferase (ALT) (serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase [SGPT]) =< 2.5 x institutional ULN or (=< 5 x institutional ULN if the patient has liver metastases).
- Serum or plasma creatinine =< 1.5 x institutional ULN or measured or calculated creatinine clearance by Cockcroft Gault Equation >= 50 ml/min for subjects with creatinine levels > 1.5 x ULN.
- Have measurable disease per Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) 1.1 criteria present.
- Participant must have a life expectancy of >= 12 weeks as determined clinically by the treating physician.
- Participants of child-bearing potential must agree to use adequate contraceptive methods (e.g., barrier or hormonal plus barrier method of birth control; abstinence) prior to study entry. Should a woman become pregnant or suspect she is pregnant while she or her partner is participating in this study, she should inform her treating physician immediately. * A female of childbearing potential is any woman, regardless of sexual orientation or whether they have undergone tubal ligation, who meets the following criteria: 1) has not undergone a hysterectomy or bilateral oophorectomy; or 2) has not been naturally postmenopausal for at least 24 consecutive months (i.e., has had menses at any time in the preceding 24 consecutive months). * Women of childbearing potential and sexually active males must be strongly advised to use an accepted and effective method of contraception or to abstain from sexual intercourse for the duration of their participation in the study.
- Participant or legal representative must understand the investigational nature of this study and sign an Independent Ethics Committee/Institutional Review Board approved written informed consent form prior to receiving any study related procedure.
- Known active central nervous system (CNS) metastases and/or carcinomatous meningitis. Subjects with previously treated brain metastases may participate provided they are stable (without evidence of progression by imaging for at least four weeks prior to the first dose of trial treatment and any neurologic symptoms have returned to baseline), have no evidence of new or enlarging brain metastases, and are not using steroids for at least 7 days prior to trial treatment. This exception does not include carcinomatous meningitis which is excluded regardless of clinical stability.
- Participants with known dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) deficiency.
- Known history of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) (HIV 1/2 antibodies).
- Known hypersensitivity to any of the components of Nal-IRI, other liposomal products, fluoropyrimidines or leucovorin.
- Investigational therapy administered within 4 weeks, or within a time interval less than at least 5 half-lives of the investigational agent, whichever is longer, prior to the first scheduled day of dosing in this study.
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac arrhythmia, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements.
- Pregnant or nursing female participants.
- Unwilling or unable to follow protocol requirements.
- Any condition which in the Investigator’s opinion deems the participant an unsuitable candidate to receive study drug.
I. To determine the objective response rate liposomal irinotecan (nanoliposomal irinotecan [Nal-IRI]) + fluorouracil (5FU) and leucovorin in patients with refractory advanced high grade neuroendocrine cancer of gastrointestinal (GI), unknown or pancreatic origin.
I. To determine overall survival, progression-free survival, time to treatment failure, safety, clinical response and, quality of life (QOL) changes resulting from the combination treatment of nanoliposomal irinotecan (Nal-IRI) + fluorouracil (5FU) and leucovorin.
I. Genetic profiling for mutations will be conducted on pre-study tumor samples and correlated with response.
Patients receive liposomal irinotecan intravenously (IV) over 90 minutes, leucovorin IV over 30 minutes, and fluorouracil IV over 46 hours on days 1 and 15. Cycles repeat every 28 days for in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed up for 30 days, then every 8 weeks thereafter.
Trial Phase Phase II
Trial Type Treatment
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Renuka Vijay Iyer
- Primary ID i 64518
- Secondary IDs NCI-2018-02122
- Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT03736720