Physical Therapy and Progressive Muscle Relaxation in Improving Physical Performance and Mood in Older Patients with Stage IIIA-B or IV Lung Cancer Undergoing Treatment
- Diagnosed with advanced lung cancer: unresectable stage IIIA, IIIB, or stage IV non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) or extensive stage small cell lung cancer (SCLC).
- Intent to receive treatment from the Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center (OSUCCC) Thoracic Oncology Clinic.
- Patients are eligible at any time point during their treatment here at OSU. Rationale for this timeframe is due to the overwhelming nature of the first few visits and uncertainty around an eventual treatment plan. Patients at any stage of their treatment can participate and benefit from a physical therapy and psychosocial intervention. Patients will be approached at their initial visit but we can also offer enrollment at any one of the patients regularly scheduled clinic visits
- Ability to understand and willingness to sign an informed consent document (or indicate approval or disapproval by another means).
- Prisoners are excluded from participation.
- There is NO exclusion criteria pertaining to Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status, laboratory values, prior cancer diagnoses, presence of comorbidities or brain metastases.
I. To assess the feasibility of a novel, weekly supervised virtual health-assisted physical therapy plus relaxation intervention delivered to older adults with advanced thoracic malignancy (N=20).
Patients participate in physical therapy sessions consisting of cardiovascular and resistance training exercises in person or virtually and also undergo progressive muscle relaxation sessions once weekly for up to 12 weeks.
After completion of study therapy, patients are followed up at 24 weeks, and then periodically for up to 24 months.
Trial Phase Phase NA
Trial Type Supportive care
Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center
Carolyn J. Presley
- Primary ID OSU-19115
- Secondary IDs NCI-2019-04722, 2019C0140
- Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT04229381