Effects of Alternative Healthy Eating Index-Based Diet on Inflammatory Markers and Breast Density in Healthy Participants
- Women will be eligible if they are nulliparous, aged 18-30, and score below 75 on the AHEI. Study eligibility will be assessed via online screening questionnaire and online Food Frequency Questionnaire (FFQ). These criteria were chosen because of our focus on the years before first birth as a critical period for establishing breast cancer risk
- Participants must be able to come to two clinic visits, complete questionnaires in English, and will be required to discontinue all vitamins and nutritional supplements during the study period
- DXA ONLY PILOT STUDY: Participants must be able to come to one visit in the Prevention Center where they will receive the consent form and undergo the DXA scan. No intervention will occur and there will be no follow-up assessments or measurements beyond the DXA scan
- Women will be ineligible if they are postmenopausal, pregnant, taking hormone therapy (e.g., oral contraceptives), or have chronic illnesses that are known to affect gastrointestinal absorption of nutrients
- Women who obtain a score of >= 75 on the AHEI are also ineligible
- DXA ONLY PILOT STUDY: Women who are pregnant
I. To evaluate the change in Inflammatory markers and breast density from baseline to 12 weeks.
DIETARY INTERVENTION: Participants receive dietary counseling with a dietitian in person or via telephone to support adherence to a diet based on the AHEI guidelines once weekly for up to 12 weeks.
DUAL X-RAY ABSORPTIOMETRY (DXA) ONLY STUDY: Participants undergo DXA scan for breast density measurement at baseline and at 12 weeks.
Trial Phase Phase NA
Trial Type Prevention
Fred Hutch / University of Washington Cancer Consortium
- Primary ID RG1001812
- Secondary IDs NCI-2019-05132, 8665
- Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT04062955