Community Networks Program Centers (CNPC)
Active Date: 2010-2015
Community Networks Program Centers (CNPC) are partnerships on a large regional- and national-partnership scale. CNPCs continue the work of the Community Networks Program (CNP), which ended in 2010. A CNPC is headquartered at an academic institution or community-based organization and works closely with the local community to identify its cancer disparity problems and cancer prevention and control needs, and to develop culturally sensitive interventions specific to that community. CRCHD established 23 national and regional CNPCs that serve health disparity populations in 34 states across the U.S.
- Increase the knowledge, access, and use of prevention/early detection measures (like smoking cessation and mammography) and treatment options (like advanced chemotherapy) in order to reduce cancer disparities
- Deliver and conduct assessments of community-based participatory research (CBPR) interventions that promote cancer prevention and treatment for all cancer sites, including breast, colorectal, and gynecologic cancers (cancers of the cervix, uterus, ovary, vagina, etc.).
- Train underrepresented health disparities researchers in the CBPR approach and work with community health educators (CHEs) to conduct outreach activities that target specific communities.
- CNPCs address cancer disparities among African Americans, American Indians/Alaska Natives, Hawaiian Natives and other Pacific Islanders, Asian Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, and rural underserved populations.
- CNPCs have strong training components to their programming and a cadre of underrepresented researchers who develop independent CBPR projects.
- A hallmark of the CNPC is the community's involvement in all phases of the research, training, and outreach.
- CNPC is an expansion of the Community Networks Program (CNP), which was active from 2005-2010. Prior to this program, CRCHD supported the Special Population Networks (SPN) from 2000-2005 and the Patient Navigation Research Program (PNRP) from 2005-2010. Current CNPs still retain some aspects of these programs.
- CNPC is linked to other CRCHD programs through the Geographical Management of Cancer Health Disparities Program (GMaP).
|Project Title & Location||Principal Investigator||Population Served|
|Alameda County Network Program for Reducing Cancer Disparities
University of California, Berkeley
|Appalachia Community Cancer Network (ACCN)
University of Kentucky Research Foundation
|Dignan, Mark B.||Rural Appalachia|
|Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness Research and Training (AANCART)
University of California, Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center
|Chen, Jr., Moon S.||Asian American|
|Asian Community Cancer Health Disparities Center (ACCHDC)
|Ma, Grace X.||Asian American|
|Carolina Community Network Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities (CCN II)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC
|Godley, Paul A.||African American|
|Center for Hispanic Health Promotion: Reducing Cancer Disparities
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
|Community Networks Program: The Johns Hopkins Center to Reduce Cancer Disparities
Johns Hopkins University
|Dobs, Adrian||African American|
|Deep South Network for Cancer Control
University of Alabama at Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center
|Partridge, Edward E.||African American|
|Imi Hale - Native Hawaiian Cancer Network
Papa Ola Lokahi
|Braun, Kathryn||Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander|
|Kansas Community Cancer Disparities Network (KCCDN)
University of Kansas Medical Center
Kansas City, KS
|Greiner, K. Allen||American Indian, Hispanic/Latino|
|Latinos Contra El Cancer
University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
|Basen-Engquist, Karen M.||Hispanic/Latino|
|Meharry Medical College-Community Health Centers Network
Meharry Medical College
|Hargreaves, Margaret K.||African American|
|Minnesota Community Networks Center For Eliminating Cancer Disparities
University of Minnesota Medical School
|Program for the Elimination of Cancer Disparities (PECaD)
Washington University School of Medicine
St. Louis, MO
|Colditz, Graham A.||African American|
|Redes En Acción: National Latino Cancer Research Network
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
San Antonio, TX
|Ramirez, Amelie G.||Hispanic/Latino|
|Regional Native American Community Networks Program
UW Center for Clinical & Epidemiological Research
|Buchwald, Dedra S.||American Indian, Alaska Native|
|South Carolina Cancer Disparities Community Networks II (SCCDCN II)
University of South Carolina Research Foundation
|Hebert, James R.||African American|
|South Florida Center for Reducing Cancer Disparities
University of Miami
|Carrasquillo, Olveen||African American, Hispanic/Latino|
|Southeast Michigan Community Network Program
Karmanos Cancer Institute
|Albrecht, Terrance L.||African American|
|Spirit of Eagles Community Network Program
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
|Kaur, Judith S.||American Indian, Alaska Native|
|Tampa Bay Community Cancer Network (TB-CCN)
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
|Meade, Cathy D.||Underserved|
|Western New York Cancer Coalition (WNYC2) Center to Reduce Disparities
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
|Underwood, Willie||African American|
|WINCART: Weaving an Islander Network for Cancer Awareness, Research, and Training
California State University, Fullerton
|Tanjasiri, Sora Park||Pacific Islander|
- Dang JH, Rodriguez EM, Luque JS, Erwin DO, Meade CD, Chen MS Jr. Engaging diverse populations about biospecimen donation for cancer research. J Community Genet. 2014 Oct;5(4):313-27.
- Greiner KA, Friedman DB, Adams SA, Gwede CK, Cupertino P, Engelman KK, Meade CD, Hébert JR. Effective recruitment strategies and community-based participatory research: community networks program centers' recruitment in cancer prevention studies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2014 Mar;23(3):416-23.