Non-Academic Jobs for Fellows in Law Firms, Patent and Trademark Office and Scientific Intellectual Property
This workshop helps CCR fellows and staff scientists learn about and better position themselves for potential job opportunities at law firms, patent and trademark, and intellectual property protection across the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. Guest speakers will shed light on how to best position yourself for obtaining these types of positions and how to improve your chances of success. They will describe ways in which you can use your time at NIH to better prepare for opportunities that may arise down the road in these fields. Speakers include current and former NCI employees who are using their scientific backgrounds in positions that deal with patent law and intellectual property evaluation.
- Types of jobs that might be available for scientists in small and large law firms
- Interpreting different job postings
- Processes that law firms and other organizations use to screen candidates
- Best practices for resume and cover letter writing
- Headhunters: Do law firms and other organizations use them? How do you find them?
- Interview preparation: What to expect, how to prepare, best practices (dos and don'ts)
- Workplace culture to expect
- Negotiating practices
- Unpaid, part-time internships
- Relevant newsletters or industry materials that will help with preparation
- How to prepare for these jobs while at NIH
Time and Location
This five-week workshop is held every three years at the Bethesda campus.
The workshop usually starts in September and runs 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 pm.
This workshop is open to all CCR postdoctoral fellows, clinical fellows, and staff scientists; however, registration is limited to 60 participants. Registration is required and acceptance is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Invited speakers include NCI/NIH staff who work in technology transfer and intellectual property, law firm partners specializing in intellectual property and patent rights, and patent agents who represent biotechnology companies.
Contact Dr. Ravi Dhar at 301-496-0990 or email@example.com.