Biomarkers to Detect Mesothelioma Early in Patients Exposed to Asbestos or Vermiculite
Basic Trial Information
|No phase specified||Biomarker/Laboratory analysis||Completed||25 and over||NCI, Other||CDR0000518348|
P30CA022453, WSU-2006-057, WSU-HIC-094806MP2F, 2006-057, NCT00897247
RATIONALE: Studying samples of body fluid and blood from patients who have been exposed to asbestos or vermiculite in the laboratory may help doctors learn more about changes that may occur in DNA and identify biomarkers related to cancer.
PURPOSE: This laboratory study is looking for biomarkers to detect mesothelioma early in patients exposed to asbestos or vermiculite.
Further Study Information
- Identify patients with known asbestos exposure at early stages of disease development (i.e., indolent premalignant pleural plaques and fibrosis vs malignant pleural mesothelioma).
- Determine the expression levels of tumor-associated proteins in these patients.
- Analyze samples of serum and pleural effusions obtained from these patients.
- Determine the proteomic profile of samples obtained from these patients.
- Determine the molecular mechanisms associated with the regulation of the extracellular matrix microenvironment proteins (e.g., osteonectin, intelectin, or matrix metalloproteins) involved in disease onset and progression.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study.
Patients undergo collection of body cavity fluid, including pleural effusion, and blood. Specimens, including fresh frozen malignant pleural mesothelioma tumor tissue, if available, are analyzed for proteomic profile, gene expression profile, and tumor-associated protein expression levels.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 200 patients will be accrued for this study.
- Exposure to vermiculite or asbestos insulation
- Symptomatic or nonsymptomatic exposure-related disease
- Seen at a clinic in Libby, Montana (CARD Clinic) or Michigan (COEM)
- Not specified
PRIOR CONCURRENT THERAPY:
- Not specified
Trial Contact Information
Trial Lead Organizations/Sponsors
Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute
- National Cancer Institute
Link to the current ClinicalTrials.gov record.
NLM Identifier NCT00897247
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this data on April 09, 2015
Note: Information about this trial is from the ClinicalTrials.gov database. The versions designated for health professionals and patients contain the same text. Minor changes may be made to the ClinicalTrials.gov record to standardize the names of study sponsors, sites, and contacts. Cancer.gov only lists sites that are recruiting patients for active trials, whereas ClinicalTrials.gov lists all sites for all trials. Questions and comments regarding the presented information should be directed to ClinicalTrials.gov.