Aflibercept Versus Placebo in Combination With Irinotecan and 5-FU in the Treatment of Patients With Metastatic Colorectal Cancer After Failure of an Oxaliplatin Based Regimen
Basic Trial Information
|Phase III||Treatment||Completed||18 and over||Pharmaceutical / Industry||EFC10262|
EudraCT 2007-000820-42, NCT00561470
The main objective of the study was to evaluate the effectiveness of aflibercept (versus placebo) in increasing the overall survival in participants with metastatic colorectal cancer treated with FOLFIRI (Irinotecan, 5-Fluorouracil, and Leucovorin) and that have previously failed an oxaliplatin based treatment for metastatic disease.
The secondary objectives were to compare progression-free survival, to evaluate overall response rate, to evaluate the safety profile, to assess immunogenicity of intravenous (IV) aflibercept, and to assess pharmacokinetics of IV aflibercept in both treatment arms.
Further Study Information
- randomized at baseline (treatment was initiated with 3 days of randomization)
- administered treatment in cycles of 14-days till a study withdrawal criterion was met
- followed up 30 days after discontinuation of treatment, and every 8 weeks until death or end of study.
The criteria for discontinuation of study treatment for a participant are:
- participant (or legal representative) chose to withdraw from treatment
- the investigator thought that continuation of the study would be detrimental to the participants well-being due to
- disease progression
- unacceptable AEs
- intercurrent illnesses
- non-compliance to the study protocol
- participant was lost to follow-up
- participant was unblinded for the investigational treatment
Participants who met the following main selection criteria were included in the study.
- Histologically or cytologically proven adenocarcinoma of the colon or rectum
- Metastatic disease that is not amenable to potentially curative treatment
- One and only one prior line of treatment for metastatic disease. This prior line should be an oxaliplatin based chemotherapy (participants who relapse within 6 months of completion of oxaliplatin based adjuvant chemotherapy are eligible)
- Prior treatment with bevacizumab is permitted.
- Prior therapy with irinotecan
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status >2
The above information is not intended to contain all considerations relevant to participation in a clinical trial.
Trial Contact Information
Trial Lead Organizations/Sponsors
Sanofi-Aventis United Kingdom
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals
- National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project
Link to the current ClinicalTrials.gov record.
NLM Identifier NCT00561470
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this data on April 09, 2015
Note: Information about this trial is from the ClinicalTrials.gov database. The versions designated for health professionals and patients contain the same text. Minor changes may be made to the ClinicalTrials.gov record to standardize the names of study sponsors, sites, and contacts. Cancer.gov only lists sites that are recruiting patients for active trials, whereas ClinicalTrials.gov lists all sites for all trials. Questions and comments regarding the presented information should be directed to ClinicalTrials.gov.