This page contains brief information about fluorouracil and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
Use in Cancer
Fluorouracil is approved to be used alone or with other drugs to treat:
- Actinic keratosis.
- Basal cell carcinoma that is superficial and cannot be removed by surgery.
- Breast cancer.
- Colorectal cancer that is advanced, has recurred (come back), or has not gotten better with other chemotherapy.
- Gastric (stomach) adenocarcinoma.
- Pancreatic cancer.
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck that is locally advanced and cannot be treated with surgery.
Fluorouracil is also called 5-FU. Fluorouracil is also being studied in the treatment of other conditions and types of cancer.
More About Fluorouracil
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information on Fluorouracil - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.
Clinical Trial Results: Chemoradiation May Help Some Patients With Bladder Cancer Avoid Radical Surgery - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Clinical Trial Results: Chemotherapy Before Surgery May Increase Survival in Stomach Cancer - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Fluorouracil - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.