This page contains brief information about gemcitabine hydrochloride and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
Use in Cancer
Gemcitabine hydrochloride is approved to be used alone or with other drugs to treat:
- Breast cancer that has metastasized (spread to other parts of the body) and has not gotten better with other chemotherapy. It is used with paclitaxel.
- Non-small cell lung cancer that is advanced or has metastasized. It is used in patients whose disease cannot be removed by surgery. It is used with cisplatin.
- Ovarian cancer that is advanced and has not gotten better with other chemotherapy. It is used with carboplatin.
- Pancreatic cancer that is advanced or has metastatsized. It is used in patients whose disease cannot be removed by surgery and who have already been treated with other chemotherapy. It is used with paclitaxel albumin-stabilized nanoparticle formulation.
Gemcitabine hydrochloride is also being studied in the treatment of other types of cancer.
More About Gemcitabine Hydrochloride
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information on Gemcitabine Hydrochloride - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.
Clinical Trial Results: Combination of Nab-Paclitaxel and Gemcitabine Improves Survival in Patients With Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Clinical Trial Results: Chemotherapy Regimen Extends Survival in Advanced Pancreatic Cancer Patients - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Gemcitabine Hydrochloride - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.