This page contains brief information about letrozole and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
Use in Cancer
Letrozole is approved to be used alone or with other drugs to treat:
- Breast cancer in postmenopausal women who have any of the following types of breast cancer--
- Early-stage, hormone receptor positive (HR+) breast cancer in women who have already received other treatment.
- Early-stage breast cancer that has been treated with tamoxifen citrate for at least five years.
- Breast cancer that is locally advanced or has metastasized (spread to other parts of the body), is HER2 positive (HER2+) and HR+.
- Breast cancer that is locally advanced or has metastasized and it is not known whether the cancer is HR+ or hormone receptor negative (HR-).
- Advanced breast cancer that has gotten worse after antiestrogen therapy.
Letrozole is also being studied in the treatment of other types of cancer.
More About Letrozole
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information on Letrozole - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.
Targeted Cancer Therapies - Information about the use of this drug to treat cancer.
Hormone Therapy for Breast Cancer - Information about the use of this drug to prevent and treat cancer.
Clinical Trial Results: Study Confirms Letrozole Prevents More Breast Cancer Recurrences Than Tamoxifen - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Letrozole - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.