Cigarettes and Cigars
- Harms of Smoking and Health Benefits of Quitting
A fact sheet that lists some of the cancer-causing chemicals in tobacco smoke and describes the health problems caused by smoking and the benefits of quitting.
- "Light" Cigarettes and Cancer Risk
A fact sheet that answers questions about the health effects of smoking "low-tar," "mild," or "light" cigarettes.
- Cigar Smoking and Cancer
A fact sheet about the health risks associated with cigar smoking.
Environmental Tobacco Smoke
- Secondhand Smoke and Cancer
A fact sheet that summarizes the studies on the health effects of exposure to environmental (secondhand) tobacco smoke.
- The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General
Surgeon General's report on the health effects of secondhand smoke exposure.
- Bibliography of Tobacco-Related Literature on Hispanics/Latinos 1990-2001
A categorized list of the published scientific literature on tobacco use in Hispanic/Latino groups.
- Tobacco Use Among U.S. Racial/Ethnic Minority Groups: A Report of the Surgeon General
Surgeon General's report on tobacco use among African Americans, American Indians and Alaska Natives, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, and Hispanics.
- Women, Tobacco, and Cancer: An Agenda for the 21st Century
A report from the Women, Tobacco, and Cancer Working Group that outlines recommendations and strategies to reduce and ultimately prevent tobacco-related cancers in women.
- Women and Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General
Links to the 2001 Surgeon General's report and related resources.
- Preventing Tobacco Use Among Young People: A Report of the Surgeon General
Surgeon General's report underscoring the seriousness of tobacco use, its relationship to other adolescent problem behaviors, and the responsibility of all citizens to protect the health of our children.
Tobacco Monographs and State-of-the-Science Statement
- Phenotypes and Endophenotypes: Foundations for Genetic Studies of Nicotine Use and Dependence
This NCI monograph presents research findings and a scientific plan for incorporating genetic research into crossdisciplinary studies of nicotine dependence.
- The Role of Media in Promoting and Reducing Tobacco Use
This NCI monograph provides a critical, scientific review and synthesis of current evidence regarding the power of the media to encourage and discourage tobacco use.
- Tobacco Control Monograph Series
NCI established the Tobacco Control Monograph series in 1991 to provide ongoing and timely information about emerging public health issues in smoking and tobacco use control.
- NIH State-of-the-Science Statement on Tobacco Use: Prevention, Cessation and Control
Panel statement from an NIH State-of-the-Science Conference held on June 12-14, 2006 at the National Institutes of Health.
- NCI Publications Locator: Smoking/Tobacco Publications
A list of smoking- and tobacco-related publications available from the NCI. The publications may be ordered online; many may also be viewed online.
- Ending the Tobacco Epidemic: A Tobacco Control Strategic Action Plan
This page presents the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 2010 Tobacco Control Strategic Action Plan as well as information about proposed cigarette product warning labels.
- MedlinePlus: Smoking
A collection of smoking-related information, from the National Library of Medicine.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: Tobacco Addiction (Nicotine)
Brief description of nicotine addiction plus links to related publications, articles, and other resources.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute: Your Guide to a Healthy Heart
Basic information about heart disease, its major risk factors, including smoking, and tips on how to talk to your doctor.
- Smoking and Tobacco Use
Tobacco-related information for kids, teens, and adults from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Surgeon General's Reports on Smoking and Tobacco Use
Reports about smoking and tobacco use in a variety of specific populations and how to reduce tobacco use.
- American Cancer Society: Tobacco and Cancer
Part of the American Cancer Society's Web site. Provides information on the effects of tobacco use, quitting tips, smoking legislation, teens and tobacco, and the Great American Smokeout.