|Phase III||Treatment||Completed||Any age||NCI||NCI-2012-02483|
SWOG-8794, CAN-NCIC-PR2, CLB-9493, EST-9887, NCCTG-895251, RTOG-9019, INT-0086, CDR0000075112, PR2, NCT00394511
Randomized phase III trial to compare treatment with or without adjuvant radiation therapy in men with stage III prostate cancer who have had radical prostatectomy and lymphadenectomy recently. Radiation therapy uses high-energy x-rays to damage tumor cells and may be an effective treatment for prostate cancer.
Further Study Information
I. Compare disease-free survival rates of patients randomly assigned to adjuvant external-beam radiotherapy vs. no adjuvant therapy following radical prostatectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy for surgical Stage C (T3 N0 M0) adenocarcinoma of the prostate.
II. Determine the qualitative and quantitative toxicities associated with this adjuvant therapy.
OUTLINE: Randomized study. Randomization takes place when the patient is physically able to begin treatment, any time within 16 weeks after surgery.
Arm I: Radiotherapy. Irradiation of the prostatic bed using megavoltage equipment with effective photon energies of greater than 4 MV.
Arm II: No further treatment.
PROTOCOL ENTRY CRITERIA:
- Pathologically documented Stage C (T3 N0 M0) adenocarcinoma of the prostate following radical prostatectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy for clinical Stage A/B disease
- Ineligible for SWOG protocols of higher priority
- At least 1 of the following on pathologic examination:
- Presence of cancer in the seminal vesicles
- Evidence of cancer at the inked surgical margin of the prostate
- Extension of tumor beyond the prostatic capsule
- Negative preoperative metastatic survey within 6 months prior to registration, including the following:
- Normal bone scan
- No palpable evidence of extraprostatic tumor extension
- Bilateral lymph node dissection histologically negative for cancer
- Nodal sampling not required with the following stage/biopsy specimen Gleason score/preoperative PSA:
- Stage T1a/2-6/<10 ng/ml
- Stage T1b-c/2-5/<10 ng/ml
- Stage T2a/2-6/<10 ng/ml
- Stage T2b/2-6/<6 ng/ml
- Stage T2c/2-6/<4 ng/ml
- Free from the following postoperative complications:
- Total urinary incontinence
- Intraoperative rectal injury
- persistent urinary extravasation
- Pelvic infection
- Concurrent registration on protocol SWOG-9205 (serum repository protocol) optional
- Concurrent registration on protocol SWOG-8994 (quality-of-life study) required of English-speaking and Spanish-speaking patients enrolled by SWOG
- Age: Any age
- Performance status: SWOG 0-2
- Life expectancy: At least 2 years
- WBC at least institutional LLN
- Platelets at least institutional LLN
- Hepatic: SGOT no more than 2 x ULN
- Other: No second malignancy within 5 years except adequately treated nonmelanomatous skin cancer
--Prior Concurrent Therapy--
- Chemotherapy: No prior chemotherapy for prostate cancer
- Endocrine therapy: No more than 3 months of hormonal therapy prior to prostatectomy allowed
- Radiotherapy: No prior radiotherapy for prostate cancer
- Surgery: Radical prostatectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy within 16 weeks prior to registration required
Trial Lead Organizations/Sponsors
National Cancer InstituteSouthwest Oncology Group
NCIC-Clinical Trials Group
Cancer and Leukemia Group B
Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group
North Central Cancer Treatment Group
Radiation Therapy Oncology Group
Link to the current ClinicalTrials.gov record.
NLM Identifer NCT00394511
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this data on October 17, 2013
Back to Top