Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award (K23)
The Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award (K23) supports clinically trained professionals who have made a commitment to focus on patient-oriented research. NCI K23 provides Clinician-Scientists with clinical duties protected time to develop cancer-focused patient-oriented research career.
Patient-Oriented Research is defined as research conducted with human subjects (or on material of human origin such as tissues, specimens and cognitive phenomena) for which an investigator directly interacts with human subjects. This area of research includes:
- Mechanisms of human disease
- Therapeutic interventions
- Clinical trials
- The development of new technologies
Studies falling under Exemption 4 for human subjects research are not included in this definition. Individuals conducting mentored clinical research in Epidemiologic and Behavioral studies, and Outcomes research and health services research sciences should refer to the NCI K07, the "Prevention, Control, Behavioral and Population Sciences Career Development Award" or K08.
For more complete information, reference the Program Announcement and/or contact the program staff.
At the time of the award, the candidate must be:
Citizenship or green card is not needed to apply. Citizenship or green card is needed at the time of award issuance.
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas||Not eligible for this award|
|Effort Level/ Commitment||Candidate must commit a minimum of 9 calendar months (75%) of full-time professional effort to the K23 Career Development Award.|
|Duration of Award||3-5 years; the K23 Award is not renewable|
|Salary||Up to $100K/year + fringe benefits|
|Research Development Support: Tuition/Fees, Books, Supplies/Equipment, Travel to Meetings, Technical Personnel, Statistical Services||Up to $30K/year|
F&A Costs/Indirect Costs
|Ancillary Personnel Support: Salary for Mentors, Secretarial and Administrative Assistance, etc.||Not allowed|
How to Apply
- Applicants must submit applications electronically – download the K23 Award application
- Applicants must follow the instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Application Guide, as well as any program-specific instructions in PartI.7, “Preparing an Individual Research Career Development Award (CDA) Application" and Section IV of the Program Announcement.
- When the program-specific instructions deviate from those in the Application Guide, follow the program-specific instructions.
- Applications that do not comply with these instructions may be delayed or not accepted for review.
|Receipt Cycle||Receipt Date: New Application||Receipt Date: Resubmission Application||Initial Review||Council Review||Earliest Possible Start Date*|
|1||February 12||March 12||June/July||September/October||December|
|2||June 12||July 12||October/November||January/February||April|
|3||October 12||November 12||February/March||May/June||July|
* Start dates are determined by the availability of NCI funds and may not occur until well after the earliest possible start date.
Applications are due by 5 pm local time.
When a standard submission date falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, the application deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.
Review and Selection Process
The Center for Scientific Review (CSR) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) review applications for completeness and for conformance to all eligibility requirements and special provisions and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
Subcommittee J, convened by the Division of Extramural Activities of the NCI, evaluates applications according to the review criteria listed in the Program Announcement. Before an award is made, the National Cancer Advisory Board (NCAB) conducts a second level of review and ensures that an application meets the broad program needs and priorities of the NCI and the National Cancer Program.
For review criteria for the K23 grant mechanism, see the Review Criteria section of the Program Announcement.
- Program Announcement
- Current List of K23 Awards
- Link to Main Peer Review Group NCI-J
- Application Form and Details
NCI Staff Contacts
For additional information regarding policies and/or guidance in preparing an application for the K23 Award, contact:
- Dr. Susan Lim
- Branch Phone: 240-276-5630
For information regarding fiscal and/or budget issues, contact:
- Grant Management Contact
For information regarding review issues, contact:
- Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities