Cancer Prevention, Control, Behavioral Sciences, and Population Sciences Career Development Award (K07)
The NCI Mentored Cancer Prevention, Control, Behavioral Sciences, and Population Sciences Career Development Award (K07) supports individuals with a Ph.D., M.D., or other research or professional doctorate degree who are committed to careers in the fields of cancer prevention, control, or behavioral or population sciences. The award supports a mentored research career development experience, including a didactic learning component.
See the NCI-Funded Research Portfolio for a current list of funded K07 grants.
For more complete information, reference the Program Announcement and/or contact the program staff.
On this page:
- Applicant Eligibility
- Financial Support
- How to Apply
- Application Receipt Dates and Review Schedule
- Review and Selection Process
- NCI Staff Contacts
At the time of the award, the candidate must be:
Citizenship or green card is not needed to apply. Citizenship or green card is needed at the time of award issuance.
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas||Not eligible for this award|
Candidate may have no more than 8 years of research experience after the terminal doctoral degree at the time of the initial or subsequent resubmission application; clinical training is not included within this 8-year limit.
|Effort Level/ Commitment||Candidate must commit a minimum 9 calendar months (75%) full-time professional effort to the K07 Career Development Award.|
|Duration of the Award||3-5 years; the K07 Award is not renewable|
|Salary||Up to $100K/year + fringe benefits|
|Research Development Support: Tuition/Fees, Supplies/Equipment, Technical Services and Personnel, Travel, and Statistical Support||Up to $30K/year|
|F&A Costs/Indirect Costs||8%|
|Ancillary Personnel Support: Salary for Mentors, Secretarial and Administrative Assistance, etc.||Not allowed|
How to Apply
- Applicants must submit applications electronically – download the K07 Award Application
- Applicants must submit applications electronically using the SF 424 (R&R) Application Guide, especially the instructions in K-Specific Instructions for K Applications (Part 7.4) and Section IV of the Program Announcement.
- When the program-specific instructions deviate from those in the Application Guide, follow the program-specific instructions.
- Applications that do not comply with these instructions may be delayed or not accepted for review.
|Receipt Cycle||Receipt Date: New Application||Receipt Date: Resubmission||Initial Review||Council Review||Earliest Project Start Date*|
|1||February 12||March 12||June/July||September/October||December|
|2||June 12||July 12||October/November||January/February||April|
|3||October 12||November 12||February/March||May/June||July|
* Start dates are determined by the availability of NCI funds and may not occur until well after the earliest possible start date.
Applications are due by 5 pm local time.
When a standard submission date falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, the application deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.
Peer Review Process
The Center for Scientific Review (CSR) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) review applications for completeness and for conformance to all eligibility requirements and special provisions and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
Subcommittee J, convened by the Division of Extramural Activities of the NCI, evaluates applications according to the review criteria listed in the Program Announcement. Before an award is made, the National Cancer Advisory Board (NCAB) conducts a second level of review and ensures that an application meets the broad program needs and priorities of the NCI and the National Cancer Program.
For review criteria for the K07 grant mechanism, see the Review Criteria section of the Program Announcement.
- Program Announcement
- Current List of K07 Awards
- Link to Main Peer Review Group NCI-J
- Application Form and Details
NCI Staff Contacts
For additional information regarding policies and/or guidance in preparing an application for the K07 Award, contact:
- Dr. Susan N. Perkins
- Branch Phone: (240) 276-5630
For information regarding fiscal and/or budget issues, contact:
- Grants Administration Branch
For information regarding review issues, contact:
- Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities