Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) for Individual Postdoctoral Fellows (F32)
The NCI Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA for Individual Postdoctoral Fellows F32 Award supports promising postdoctoral applicants who have the potential to become productive and successful independent cancer research investigators. NCI requires a clear cancer focus in research training.
The primary sponsor must be the Principal Investigator (PI) of an R01, or R01-like, peer-reviewed cancer-related research grant at the time of application. For the NCI F32 Award, R01-like research funding includes peer-reviewed research grants from other federal sources and private foundations with a duration of at least 3 years with a minimum of $150,000 direct costs per year. The primary sponsor is expected to maintain such grant support during the project period. Grants under a no-cost extension do not qualify.
For more complete information, reference the Program Announcement and/or contact the program staff.
On this page:
- Applicant Eligibility
- Financial Support
- Tuition, Fees, Training-Related Expenses & Health Insurance
- How to Apply
- Application Receipt Dates and Review Schedule
- Review and Selection Process
- NCI Staff Contacts
At the time of the award, the candidate must be:
Citizenship or green card is not needed to apply. Citizenship or green card is needed at the time of award issuance.
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas||Not eligible for this award|
|Degree/Academic Appointment||Postdoctoral and Clinical Fellows|
|Geographic Location||F32 Fellows may request support for training abroad; clear scientific justification is required, including the reasons why the facilities, the sponsor, and/or other aspects of the proposed experience are more appropriate than training in a domestic setting.|
|Effort Level/ Commitment||At least 40 hours per week, full-time effort, to the training program|
|Duration of the Award||Up to 3 years; the F32 Award is not renewable|
|# of Years|
|Stipend for FY 2015|
7 or more
|Tuition and Fees||NCI will pay 60% of the combined amount requested for tuition and fees, up to $4,500 per year.|
|Tuition and Fees for Each Postdoctoral Trainee in a Formal Degree-Granting Program||NCI will pay 60% of the combined amount requested for tuition and fees, up to $16,000 per year.|
|Training-Related Expenses and Health Insurance|
NCI will pay up to $7,850 (in FY15) annually to help defray other research training expenses, such as:
How to Apply
- Applicants must submit applications electronically – download the F32 Award application
- Applicants must follow the instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Individual Fellowship Application Guide, as well as the program-specific instructions in Section IV. Application and Submission Information of the Program Announcement.
- When the program-specific instructions deviate from those in the Application Guide, follow the program-specific instructions.
- Applications that do not comply with these instructions may be delayed or not accepted for review.
|Receipt Cycle||Receipt Date: Application, Resubmission||Initial Review Date||Council Review Date||Earliest Possible Start Date*|
* Start dates are determined by the availability of NCI funds and may not occur until well after the earliest possible start date.
Applications are due by 5pm local time.
When a standard submission date falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, the application deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.
Review and Selection Process
The Center for Scientific Review (CSR) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) review applications for completeness and for conformance to all eligibility requirements and special provisions and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
For review criteria for the F32 grant mechanism, see the Review Criteria section of the Program Announcement.
- Program Announcement
- Current List of F32 Awards
- Link to Peer Review Groups
- Application Form and Details
- Review Criteria
- Activation Form
- Changes to Public Access Policy Compliance Efforts Notice
- Payback Agreement
- Termination Notice: Terminations are submitted via xTrain by the institute's business official
NCI Staff Contacts
For additional information regarding policies and/or guidance in preparing an application, contact:
- Dr. Sonia B. Jakowlew
- Branch Phone: 240-276-5630
For information regarding fiscal and/or budget issues, contact:
- Grants Administration Branch
For information regarding referral and review issues, contact:
- Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities