This page contains brief information about cisplatin and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
|US Brand Name(s):||Platinol-AQ|
Cisplatin is approved to be used alone or with other drugs to treat:
- Bladder cancer that cannot be treated with surgery or radiation therapy.
- Cervical cancer that is advanced and cannot be treated with surgery or radiation therapy.
- Malignant mesothelioma that cannot be treated with surgery.
- Non-small cell lung cancer that is locally advanced, advanced, or has metastasized (has spread to other parts of the body) and cannot be treated with surgery.
- Ovarian cancer that is advanced or has metastasized in patients whose disease has not gotten better with other types of treatment or chemotherapy.
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck that is locally advanced and cannot be treated with surgery.
- Testicular cancer in patients who have already had surgery or radiation therapy.
Cisplatin is also being studied in the treatment of other types of cancer.More About Cisplatin
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information on Cisplatin - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.Research Results
Clinical Trial Results: Cisplatin Plus Gemcitabine Improves Survival of Patients With Advanced Biliary Tract Cancer - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Clinical Trial Results: Cisplatin No Better than Standard Therapy for Anal Canal Cancer - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Clinical Trial Results: Stomach Cancer Drug, S-1, Given With Cisplatin, Shows Promise in Japanese Trial - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Clinical Trial Results: Chemotherapy Before Surgery May Increase Survival in Stomach Cancer - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Cisplatin - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.
Important: The drug information on this page is meant to be educational. It is not a substitute for medical advice. The information may not cover all possible uses, actions, interactions, or side effects of this drug, or precautions to be taken while using it. Please see your health care professional for more information about your specific medical condition and the use of this drug.