Treatment Options by Stage
Early Stage Breast Cancer (Stage I and Stage II)
- Modified radical mastectomy.
- Breast-conserving surgery: Lumpectomy, partial mastectomy or segmental mastectomy.
- Breast-conserving surgery during pregnancy followed by radiation therapy after the baby is born.
- Surgery during pregnancy followed by chemotherapy after the first 3 months of pregnancy.
- Clinical trials of surgery followed by hormone therapy with or without chemotherapy.
Late Stage Breast Cancer (Stage III and Stage IV)
Radiation therapy and chemotherapy should not be given during the first 3 months of pregnancy.