Treatment Options by Stage
Early Stage Breast Cancer (Stage I and Stage II)
- Modified radical mastectomy.
- Breast-conserving surgery: Lumpectomy, partial mastectomy or segmental mastectomy.
- Breast-conserving surgery during pregnancy followed by radiation therapy after the baby is born.
- Surgery during pregnancy followed by chemotherapy after the first 3 months of pregnancy.
- Clinical trials of surgery followed by hormone therapy with or without chemotherapy.
Radiation therapy and chemotherapy should not be given during the first 3 months of pregnancy.